Tag Archives: The downsides of cruising

Awaiting a decision and repairs

Having been pulled out on to the hard on Monday 20th August we were confident that we would soon be back in the water.  I had already spoken to the yard about sourcing a Volvo Penta engineer and I had actually spoken to the man himself.  However, the engineer was very busy and couldn’t come until Wednesday to take a look and wasn’t able to remove the sail drive until Thursday.

In the meantime, we had spoken to the insurance company yet again and had been told that if the damage turned out to be accidental then virtually all our expenses would be covered.  How fab would that be?

The engineers found some fishing line wrapped within the workings and seemed to be sure that this could have been the cause of the failure.

The insurance company wanted to see for themselves so on the 10th September an English surveyor based in Bodrum came to see what he could suss out.

He looked at the broken sail drive and took lots of pictures.  He asked questions and we explained to him when we thought that the damage could have happened.

So, we await his verdict.

Today, Volvo Europe Head office phoned to say that our new sail drive would be with us in Rhodes tomorrow.

With luck the engineers will have the time to fit it and before you know it we will be back in the water!  Of course, we will have to satisfy the port police again and pay for an expensive survey but the last few hurdles, of which we are aware, are in sight.