The next day was Friday the 2nd of August, there were a few fluffy clouds present but it all seemed very benign. We ended up motoring some of the way north in light winds.
We shuddered as we passed the low bridge between Pasman and Uglijan. Only two weeks before we had seen a charter boat attempt to sail under it with damaging consequences.
In the mid afternoon, we anchored in the gorgeous tree-lined bay of Pavlesina with protection from a jutting headland to our west and north.
After a swim and relax, we had time to head to shore and walk across the isthmus to Muline and enjoy a beer.
As we sat under the large Ozujsko Beer umbrella, we saw that huge rain clouds were pummelling the islands to the north and west of us (Dugi Otok island). Hmm. Perhaps they are heading our way afterall.
We were just setting off back to the boat when Paddy suggested that we go to eat at one of the restaurants in the village. He commented that the BBQ looked good; and it certainly smelled good.
So, after a little discussion and the toss of three coins, (only with Paddy!) we decided that it would be best to return to the boat due to the forecasted storms. But, we were sorely tempted; and so ended up sitting down to have a delicious dinner in the Konoba Kod Sime.
Just as we were contemplating ordering a further carafe of wine we saw worsening weather coming in from the west.
The staff closed the windows.
The wind and waves opened them again! We attempted to force them shut. Torrential rain and waves began to lash the windows.
We were worried! After all, we had left Linea all alone in the bay to the south. I asked for a bin bag. I wanted to try to keep warm and dry on the walk home. Ever the practical one.
We began to stride back across the Isthmus. Slipping and sliding along the muddy track trying to get back to the boat before she dragged out of the anchorage.
When we arrived back we saw our anchor light and breathed sighs of relief. We all jumped in the dinghy and were soon back on board assessing the situation.
Luckily, Ian had closed all the hatches so the boat was fairly dry. Neither of the heads hatches had been closed so the shower rooms were full of water – but they are designed for that. No problem!
We were beginning to realise just how lucky we were that Linea had stayed where we left her!!
We may take our time with anchoring and making sure we the anchor is well set but it is definitely worth it.
We played calming games of Bonus Whist and Rummy.
In the morning, Ian went to survey the sea bed. We had dragged 2m through the sand but our anchor had reset perfectly.
A German boat motored past us in the morning asking us if we had recorded the wind speed the previous evening. They informed us that another boat had recorded 55 knots of wind during the storm!!!!! That is quite possibly the most we have ever encountered. Today, I read a Croatian newspaper article about the mess left behind after the vicious storm on Friday 2nd August which demolished tables, chairs, and umbrellas on seaside quays and weather stations had recorded 150km winds in the area!
Friends on the other side of the island recorded 72 knots of wind. Clearly the wind had been gathering speed as it travelled South.
Yikes, we had been very lucky.