On Sunday morning we were looking at a map of the world and Ian mooted the possibility of us buying a yacht and sailing off round the world. Clearly not expecting me to agree to this mad cap scheme, his face was a picture when he heard me agree.
So I have put together a list of Top Ten Tips as to the steps we took to help the plan come into fruition.
1. Tell everybody you know what it is that you intend to do, then it’s more difficult to back out.
2. Start detailed research as to the type of yacht you want and need and compile a spreadsheet of all the features of ones you like. Visit a few that seem to fit the bill and start eliminating the ones that don’t match up to your criteria.
2. Start downsizing some of the clutter of life.
3. Sort out what you will do with pets. Either plan to take them or re-house them. In our case we had a few hens who we sent on an extended holiday to kind farming friends.
4. Finally get round to finishing those household jobs and repairs that you have been putting up with and putting off.
5. Spruce up the house and garden ready for rental if that is what you are going to do and find tenants. Or prepare the house to be left for an extended time.
6. Find some eager and reliable people to hold the fort back home, collect post, pay bills, send on important documents.
7. Start packing….things for storage; things for garage; things for shed; things for family and relatives; things for boat; things for winter; things for trips home; things for skiing.
9. Make sure family and friends know that they are more than welcome to come and stay. (They can say where and they can say when, but not both!)
10. Set up a blog and start posting stuff! www.MadAboutTheBoat.com
NOW, JUST GO AHEAD AND DO IT!